07 April 2015

Been a while...

It's been a long time since I've posted on the blog because I haven't done much in ham radio.  I recently moved into my own place: a second-story room in an old house with two south-facing windows.  Unfortunately, I can't put up any of my wire dipole antennas due to the lot being too narrow and not enough room between trees.  I was looking at putting my Mosley up but it needs a new base mount, having broken the original one when mounted on my parents' home rooftop.

I've decided to try one of those "hamstick dipoles" using two 40-meter "hamsticks" and a special mount, sold by MFJ.  It will be very easy for me to crawl out of one of my windows onto the porch roof to set up this antenna.  For now, I'm going to get a strong piece of PVC pipe to mount the antenna on and attach it directly to the dormer frame.  The antenna, while providing fairly limited bandwidth, will be what I'll use for now.  It's better than not being on the air, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bad news

So it looks like I'm still off the air.  One of my HF rigs is dead and the other has issues working with my computer.  A new HF rig is g...