04 September 2023

Slowly returning

It has been a very long time since I have provided an update.  A lot has happened since my last update.  I'm now medically retired and living in a small apartment which presents its own unique challenges to operating on the air.  I recently purchased a good used HM-103 mic for my IC-706MKII rig which I am hoping to get up and running soon.

I'm not sure if the radio is still fully functioning so I am going to try to get it on the air for some tests.  I do have a 2-meter antenna mounted on my aluminum access ramp (I now require the use of a mobility scooter) and am looking at pressing my old MFJ Apartment Antenna into service for HF until I can get something better, such as a Comet CHA-250HD antenna since I can't put up my 135' EFHW wire antenna.  I could try to hang up a short dipole using my Jetstream 1:1 balun but I have a lot of metal around my porch.  The Comet mounted on my access ramp is the best solution and it is, by far, the most expensive.

I'm trying to find my Signalink and related hardware also.  I have a feeling I am going to have massive QRM/QRN here so digital modes may be all I can do on HF until a miracle happens and I can move.

Still, even having limited HF capability is better than nothing at all.  So I am looking forward to trying to get on the air after three or four years of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Almost back on the air!

So I purchased a used OEM mic for my IC-706MKII and my dad tested it for me, confirming that the little 706 is working fine.  A good friend ...