01 May 2020

Antenna work

Dad and I worked on putting up the new antenna on Tuesday (April 28) and got as far as getting the antenna tripod and my aluminum conduit secured together then installing the antenna balun on the conduit.  Here's what it looks like from the ground:

The unfinished antenna in all of its glory.
The antenna's quite sturdy though it doesn't look like it from the picture.  The antenna will be mounted on the shed that is behind it, giving me roughly 40 feet in height on this end.  The far end will be shot over a tree to be tied off on.  We're hoping Saturday, which is supposed to be sunny and 74 degrees, will be a good day to finish mounting the antenna.  I can't wait to try the new antenna out!  I've been waiting a very long time for this.

I still have my Mosley RV-4C 10-40 meter vertical antenna, which includes an optional 80 meter coil, to install.  It requires a lot more work and also a new antenna base which is around $50 with shipping direct from the Mosley factory.  Once I have my needed foot reconstruction surgery on my right foot and I'm able to use it, I may go ahead and set this up permanently at my parents' home (where I am at now) so my dad can use it if he wants.

I am also considering setting up my Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Slackware./ARM Linux and using it for a shack computer.  Considering I have a little eight-foot by eight-foot room to myself, that would save a lot of space for me.  I'd still be able to do everything I wanted on the little Pi though.  Another project to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bad news

So it looks like I'm still off the air.  One of my HF rigs is dead and the other has issues working with my computer.  A new HF rig is g...