24 May 2020

Caught up

I finally uploaded to LoTW and eQSL my logs for the past few days.  I've been busy elsewhere and just fell behind.  I have several direct and bureau DX QSL cards to work on as well.  I'll try to get to those tomorrow.  There's been a lot of good DX popping up all over the bands lately.  I use dxspots.com for my DX cluster and hamspots.net/hell for my Feld Hell spotting.  It's nice having a working station again.

I switched computers in the shack.  I am now using a Dell Optiplex 390 (3.2 gHz, 8GB RAM, 250GB hard drive) running Slackware 64 Linux 14.2.  It's funny that I'm using this computer as it had a problem with not being able to do a reboot from software.  I finally went researching on Google and discovered it's a bug in the computer's bios having to do with virtualization being turned on.  I need virtualization as I have a Windows 7 Professional VM I use N3FJP's specialty logging software (Field Day, ARRL November Sweepstakes, et ceteral) with so turning that off is not an option.  I discovered that if you add "reboot=pci" to the kernel initialization string in LILO, the computer will reboot via software just fine.

So far so good with the new computer.  It does everything I need in the shack.  I really don't need anything high-powered though having another monitor would be great for when I'm doing my "hunt and pounce" DX using xdx and xlog.  One of these days!

I have been doing more digital work with Feld Hell, FSK Hell 105, and PSK31.  I made a PSK31 contact in Venezuela today which was fun.

I am also going to go through what little I have of logs for the past ten years, input them into xlog, and try to get it all uploaded to LoTW and eQSL.  Unfortunately, I haven't been the best with logs and I've lost a lot of contacts.  I am doing better this time around though.

For now, it's been a long but good day.  I'm going to go relax.  I might watch a movie then go to bed.  I'll definitely be on the air tomorrow though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bad news

So it looks like I'm still off the air.  One of my HF rigs is dead and the other has issues working with my computer.  A new HF rig is g...